How Do We Overcome?
In 1John 4, John writes about testing the spirits. He points out that not all spirits are from God, many are anti-Christ. He specifically uses the term “false prophets” as being anti-Christ. This got me thinking this morning about what and who are ANTI-CHRIST? So, I began to make a list:
• False Prophets
Those who claim to have a prophetic word from God, but are either deliberately lying to deceive, or they have themselves been deceived and truly believe what they speak is from God – either way, it is ANTI-CHRIST
• False Teachers and Religions
Those that add to, take away, distort, and/or twist God’s Word. False teachers run rampant in churches across this country, and they are ANTI-CHRIST
• Deceitfulness of sin
When we don’t make much of our sin, and we don’t war against it, it will harden us to it. Our conscience will sear, we will become callous, insensitive to the wickedness and ultimately the consequence of sin. This is the exact opposite of God’s will – this is ANTI-CHRIST.
• The World
The world is a “buffet” of wickedness. Step up to the banquet table and indulge in whatever makes you feel good. From vice to charity it is all about self, self-focus, self-indulgence, self-gratification. All things self-centered are ANTI-CHRIST.
• The Flesh
We are our own worst enemy. Instead of denying self, we are full of self-importance. Instead of denying self, we gratify the flesh. We justify ourselves with a “just a taste” mentality, but that appetite is never satisfied, it only grows. Instead of starving the flesh, we feed it until it is so strong, we are helpless to right the ship. This is ANTI-CHRIST.
If all these are ANTI-CHRIST, how do we overcome them?
It starts with the Gospel….why?
1) The Gospel is the power to save (Romans 1:16)
2) When the Gospel is preached and men are “cut to the heart” and the Spirit converts, men are born again (Acts 2:37-42, John 3:7-8, John 3:3)
3) When men are saved, they are given the Holy Spirit to live in their hearts as a guarantee of our inheritance, our assurance of eternal life. (2Corinthians 2:22, Ephesians 1:13-14)
4) When men have the Holy Spirit within them, they can overcome the anti-Christs by the power of the Holy Spirit, because He who is in you (the HOLY SPIRIT) is greater than he (Satan) that is in the world. (1John 4:4)
You can see the Biblical, logical progression. It would be foolishness to try and circumvent the process. So many times, people rush in with a solution to “overcome” a problem with worldly “wisdom” when what they REALLY NEED IS THE GOSPEL!