A toddler only needs to put a butter knife in an electrical outlet once.
Which personality are you?
· Some get warned not to put the butter knife in an outlet, and the warning is enough
· Some get warned, do not heed the warning, and they find out the hard way
· Some get warned, do an extensive amount of research, talk to people that know about electrical outlets and ultimately conclude, “I am not going to put a butter knife in an electrical outlet”
· Some get warned, do an extensive amount of research, talk to people that know about electrical outlets and conclude, “I am not convinced, and put a knife in the outlet despite the warning and the research
· Some do not get warned and find out the hard way they should not have put the butter knife in an electrical outlet
Maybe you had a devious older brother that deceived you in to putting the butter knife in the outlet. Putting a knife in an outlet wasn’t a thought until he said, “come on, it will be fun, just put the knife right in that slot.”
Maybe as the devious older brother tried to lure you, you had another sibling telling you not to listen to him – which one did you listen to?
Maybe the devious older brother was able to convince you and you realized quickly that you listened to the wrong sibling – but it was too late.
One thing we can easily conclude:
The end result is the same for those who put the knife in the electrical outlet. The one without warning, the one who rebelliously went ahead despite the warning, and the one deceived into it – they all got zapped.
In this analogy, the “butter knife” in the outlet is dying in your sin. The “warning” is to repent and believe the Gospel. The “devious older brother” is your flesh, the world, Satan, and demons. The “warning sibling” are those who love you enough to warn you, the Holy Spirit convicting you, and your conscience bearing witness of the Truth.
· The atheist says, “there is no outlet”
· The agnostic says, “I don’t see enough evidence of electricity flowing through the outlet, there might be some, but I can’t be sure, therefore, I am not going to worry about it
To the atheist and agnostic, please seek the Truth as revealed in God’s Word and nature.
To the “unwarned”, here’s your warning: not knowing the “zap” is coming, does not change the result. You’ll get “zapped” because you put the knife in the socket; the electricity doesn’t care if you were warned or not, your actions (your sin) has earned you the “zap”, your ignorance of it doesn’t negate the result. Besides, if you are reading this, you’ve been lovingly warned, please flee from the Wrath to come, repent and believe the Gospel.
To the “warned and rebellious” – it is not too late. Re-think the severity of your sin and the severity of God’s Wrath. He saves the rebellious every day, today is the day of salvation, turn to Christ in faith, trust in Him to save you – turn that rebellious heart into a faithful heart.
To the “extensive researcher” – do not delay, if you need to research, do so diligently, do not put it off, we are not guaranteed tomorrow. You must have the mindset that “I will seek God until He saves me, or I die and go to hell.” Heavy thought, I know, but if you are genuinely seeking the Truth that must be the sense of urgency you must have.
Isaiah 55:6 "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near;
Psalm 105:4 Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!
Psalm 34:10 The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
1Chronicles 22:19a Now set your mind and heart to seek the LORD your God
Deuteronomy 4:29 But from there you will seek the LORD your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.
2Corinthians 6:2 For he says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
James 4:13-14 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.