What does it mean to trust someone?
• To have no doubt they will do something expected
What does it mean to have a “half-heart trust” in someone?
• There is no real trust, you think they might do something, but you’re not sure
What does it mean to have “unfounded trust”?
• To trust someone but their character and actions give no evidence that you should trust them
Faith and trust have the same basic meaning. Has God ever said He might do things to “test” our faith? In other words, to test whether your faith is half-hearted or whole hearted – real or genuine?
• Yes, 1Peter 1:6-7 and James 1:2-4 are two examples
What is “the heart”?
• Our innermost thoughts, desires, affections, and emotions
What does it mean to “lean” on something?
• To rest against something; that “something” is holding you up, you trust in that ”something” to support you
There is something we are warned NOT to trust in, to lean on, to expect support from – what is it?
• Our own understanding
• Our pride has us thinking we are wiser than we really are. Our pride has us leaning on our own understanding
Proverb 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
In other words:
Trust in, have complete faith in – not half-hearted trust (because his trust is not unfounded, He has always done exactly as He promised) – trust in the Lord with all your thoughts, desires, affections, and emotions. Do not trust in your own understanding, our own understanding does not know the entire picture.