· Some people brought a paralytic friend to be healed by Jesus – They came to Jesus because they believed Jesus could heal him. It wasn’t, “well, we tried everything else, let’s see what this Jesus guy can do.” – it was, “Jesus can heal him, we just need to get him to Him!” They truly believed.
· Chapter 9 says, “when Jesus saw their faith” – their faith was shown by their belief that Jesus could heal their friend if they could just get their friend to Him.
· Jesus took the opportunity to put an “explanation point” on the fact that He is God. Knowing how the religious leaders would react, Jesus said, “take heart, my son, your sins are forgiven”
· If a paralytic, blind person, deaf person, or any person with a handicap or disease is thinking rightly; they would rather have God forgive their sin, rather than heal their affliction – in this case, Jesus does both
· The religious leaders said Jesus was blaspheming. Blaspheming is using God’s Name in an irreverent way, and to pronounce someone’s “sins forgiven” would be considered blasphemy because only God can forgive sin. What the people didn’t yet know was – Jesus is God the Son
· The religious leaders did not understand that Jesus was ushering in a New Covenant, and the sacrificial system they knew was over. Jesus was to be the final sacrifice for sin – His followers are to walk in mercy and grace in light of the mercy and grace they’ve been given
· In the same way the paralytic and his friends believed – to woman who suffered from blood discharge for 12 years believed that just touching Jesus’ garment would heal her – once again Jesus says, “Your faith has made you well.”