Twenty-Seven words That is how many words are in Isaiah 53:6; yet it is the Gospel in its entirety. To understand this verse is to have enough understanding of The Gospel, and it is The Gospel that is the power to save. Let’s walk through this verse:
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned – everyone – to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
• A sheep mindlessly goes where it shouldn’t
• In disobedience to the shepherd, the sheep does what it shouldn’t
• The shepherd saves the sheep from the consequences of their disobedient straying
• We are just as mindless, and disobedient as sheep that need to be saved
we have turned –
• We have turned away from God and pursued sin, we have run toward the things of this world
• Not a few, not many, everyone – everyone has turned
to his own way;
• The religious pursue righteousness through works and ritual
• The “good” pursue “safe haven” and the praise of men by good deeds
• The intelligent pursue philosophy and the wisdom of this world
• The powerful seek to increase power, wealth, and the praise of men
• The wicked pursue whatever will satisfy their desire
• Everyone has turned and pursued selfishness – whether their pursuits are considered noble or immoral in the world’s eyes- if they are not done for God’s glory, it is still “your own way”
And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
• God must punish all sin; it is His creation, it is His rules and He has said, sin is lawlessness and lawlessness must be punished
• In order to both punish all sin, and save us from the consequences of our sin, God the Father laid all sin on His Son
• After all our sin was laid on Christ- He was then punished under the full Wrath of God
• It is because of the outpouring of the Wrath of God upon His Son that God can both punish all sin, and save sinners from His Wrath
• Your sin was not swept under the rug and ignored; the debt of your sin was paid for by the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, the Righteous One
If God has opened your eyes to believe this Truth, repentance has started, you have had your mind changed from believing the lies of this world, to believe the Truth of the Gospel. Now you must turn from sin and turn to God, trusting in Jesus Christ alone to save you. Pray, pursue Him through the study of His Word, fellowship with other Christians, and worship Him by doing His will.